Tuesday 31 January 2012

SBB - SBB (1974)



Last week I was driving around my city looking for a parking spot when, after 10 minutes of venturing through the urban maze, I ended up in this tiny, long forgotten street. Looking around for a spot I sort of caught this small shop sign in the corner of my eye. To my astonishment, the sign read: 'MUSIC, CDs, VINYL'. Surprised and excited, I've managed to sneak a peek through the window and I thought to myself: 'Well, whatta you know, a decent record shop in my home city. I should definitely check it out'.

Wouldn't you know it, I was already in the shop the very next day, browsing through the records. Turns out the store is owned by a true music junkie, with a real passion for his hobby. Even more, it turns out that the guy hosts a weekly radio show on Radio Afera, every Sunday from 8 PM which I promised myself to check out one day. I also managed to find out that he runs a blog with album reviews and general everyday chit-chat (Viola!). Right...enough about the context, let's get to the good stuff.

With a little guidance from the store owner I managed to dig out the debut album of this polish rock band from the 70s called: SBB (Szukaj, Burz, Buduj - Search, Break, Build). They never made it really big, but they do boast a following of some sorts from the more devoted fans. The group consists of 3 lads: Jozef Skrzek, the band leader and multiinstrumentalist (bass, piano, synthesisers, vocals, harp); Antymos Apostolis, a son of greek immigrants (guitar); and Jerzy Piotrowski (percussion).

SBB formed around 1971 by the young Jozef Skrzek, who by that time has already been working with Tadeusz Nalepa's Breakout (Nalepa on Platinum Grooves). The Silesian Blues Band, as they were then known, began touring with the famous Czeslaw Niemen and managed to perform with him on a few festivals in Western Europe. However, as it  usually is when two powerful personalities crash, the group parted Niemen around the summer of 1973, and officially became SBB: Search, Break, Build. With regular concerts in the Silesian area and frequent radio shows, the group got more and more recognition.

It's around that time when they release their debut album on Polskie Nagrania Muza. The disc is actually a live recording from a 1974 concert they gave in the Stodola student club in Warsaw. The material is really peculiar, I must say. It's this free-flowing run of progressive rock jams with some bluesy piano-suites in between and plenty of solo improvisation. If I were to pinpoint their music I'd say it's like a mixture of McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, Cream's trio-format sound and Pink Floyd's hazy aura; but I feel that it's just a facade, and that if I were to dig in more deeply I'd find a richer dimension to their music. There's also something really catchy and nearly hypnotic in Skrzek's vocals (which, for the love of god, reminds me of Robert Plant).

Well anyways, I'm definitely glad I got this record. Not only because I have a fetish for debut albums, but also because it inspires me to explore more polish rock which, admittedly, I still have a lot to learn about.





Spread the love!



No comments:

Post a Comment